5.07.2006

 

my ugly secret

Last night, over fabulous Vietnamese food, a friend shared a story about a friend-of-a friend in common, who insists that babies must go to sleep at 6:30 in the evening. I laughed along with everyone else, but inwardly shivered as I realized that we might be at the opposite--and also crazy--end of the sleep spectrum. Because right now it is midnight, and baby is still awake, happily cooing. And we're not too concerned.
I've been told that this is what is known as a "rock star" baby. She keeps our hours, basically--usually she is asleep around 11:15 and up again around 9 am. This is the schedule she herself settled on, when she began sleeping through the night. (Not wanting to risk various friendships, I won't tell you exactly when she started sleeping through--let's just say that it was very early on, and we will always be grateful.) It suits us, because it means husband gets several hours with her after he comes home from work, and we don't have to wake up extra early. My mother tells me I was the same way: I wouldn't go sleep until after Johnny Carson came on. (Now, instead of Carson, it is the Will & Grace reruns that signal it's time for bed. Does this mark evolution or devolution? You decide.)
I guess we may pay the price for all of this leisure when it's time for baby to go to school. Or at least that's what the books tell us. For now I am just happy to have a few extra minutes of her snotty-snorty giggles in my day, because I can never get enough.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?