9.15.2006

 

what have i, what have i, what have i done to deserve this?

When I was a kid, I had piano lessons, and while I started out strong, I didn't really like to practice. Eventually, I quit, but not before mastering a single piece of music (or at least, the first movement): Mozart's Sonata in C major. I have always felt guilty about quitting. It seems weak, and allows me to globalize the idea of a personality defect, my lack of followthrough. Plus it would be cool to be able to play an instrument.

Flash forward 20-some years. Baby has exactly two electronic toys, one of which she has become completely attached to. It's part of her "gymini" activity mat--the mat itself has been retired, but we kept this thing around, which plays, you guessed it, the first bit of Mozart's Sonata in C in a seemingly endless loop. Every now and then the loop ends, but baby is quickly on it, grunting and pointing until I restart it.

Dante could not have devised an apter hell.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?