11.22.2006

 

rainy day fun

Blame it on the rain, or on the fact that my iPod seemed to be randomly playing more songs with the word "rain" in them than should be statistically possible. In any event, I decided today to begin the Great Clothing Reassessment that has long been overdue in the RC household. This involved putting away summer clothes, including the maternity stuff I hadn't ever stored last summer, and getting out the winter wear. It also meant trying to rearrange what goes where, especially since there was no previous order--things were just stuffed in whatever closet or drawer or corner happened to be closest at the time.

So I created several piles of clothing, by category. In the process I figured out two things: One, I never need buy a piece of sleepwear again for the rest of my life. And two, it turned out that my pile of "loungewear" was the biggest of all. This is what happens when you work from home/work in the home, I suppose. The need for anything tailored, or dry-clean-only, or not cotton and comfy drops dramatically in favor of old banana republic t-shirts and frayed-at-the-ankle yoga pants. At first you just wear them indoors, while on deadline, or during cleaning binges, but then it occurs to you that you can run out to the Starbucks like this, particularly if you have a coat to throw on top, and then it's not like the people at the Safeway care how you dress...

Before you know it you're showing up at dinner parties in a Gap hoodie and sweatpants.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?