1.17.2007

 

blah blah blah helen mirren blah blah

I'm as big a fan of Helen Mirren as anyone--basically, I will watch anything she's in, save for "Teaching Mrs. Tingle," which I assume she hasn't seen either. I once saw her in person but was too shy to say anything to her. She was probably 57 or 58 at the time, and drop-dead gorgeous.

So, good for her for winning two Golden Globes, one for playing Elizabeth I, one for playing Elizabeth II. I haven't seen either production yet, though I'm sure they're swell. But don't let that distract you from what may be the definitive Elizabeth I: Anne-Marie Duff, who plays her in "Elizabeth I: The Virgin Queen," a BBC miniseries currently in reruns on Masterpiece Theatre. Duff is an extraordinary Bess, in all her raw, pale, red-headed (and then -wigged) glory. (Plus, she's married to Mr. Tumnus!) And the historical detail is yummy yummy yummy.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?